Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brahma Hate thread
(06-10-2024, 05:51 PM)BillyBob Wrote: -1

I do not like your response to Bryan. Seems like you are dismissing the issues brought up and claiming at its okay because "well they were my friend so i have a right to defend then". Also, the constant reply to every negative response gives me heavy tiefling vibes with how her applications were received. : )
I don't think someone should be generally faulted for trying to give context to negative comments/concern on any kind of application of theirs, what's to be judged is the depth or earnestness of those responses.

This is the place where a person SHOULD be an open book and respond to all comments/concerns. Those responses add context to their person, and allow us to have more footing when deciding if we think they would be fit for what they are applying for.

Now, if you think those responses are weak or half handed, that's a fair concern on your part.
(06-10-2024, 06:07 PM)brother roach Wrote:

I do not like your response to Bryan. Seems like you are dismissing the issues brought up and claiming at its okay because "well they were my friend so i have a right to defend then". Also, the constant reply to every negative response gives me heavy tiefling vibes with how her applications were received. : )
I don't think someone should be generally faulted for trying to give context to negative comments/concern on any kind of application of theirs, what's to be judged is the depth or earnestness of those responses.

This is the place where a person SHOULD be an open book and respond to all comments/concerns. Those responses add context to their person, and allow us to have more footing when deciding if we think they would be fit for what they are applying for.

Now, if you think those responses are weak or half handed, that's a fair concern on your part.

Personally I take them as pushing back as opposed to trying to receive criticism, as I've seen it be a pattern way to many times here, but I understand your point and can definitely agree with most parts!
[Image: rdm-corp-squarelogo-1446787792629.png]
(06-10-2024, 06:20 PM)BillyBob Wrote:
(06-10-2024, 06:07 PM)brother roach Wrote:

Personally I take them as pushing back as opposed to trying to receive criticism, as I've seen it be a pattern way to many times here, but I understand your point and can definitely agree with most parts!
I may be reaching and getting a bit tangential here BUT I don't think "tone" is a fair thing to judge when engaging in discussion on a forum thread like this. There's a place to judge tone on a forum, of course it isn't out of the question across the board, but when someone is willingly putting themselves on the spot for all to critique I think the OPs tone can generally be thrown out the window because of the assumption of risk they are taking, if that makes sense.

All of that being said, I get your point.
after reading recent comments, imma just air my thoughts out. panda, i think you’re more than capable to staff, you’ve got the knowledge and the skills to be able to staff, no doubt about it. server culture is definitely still something that needs to be worked on, which i’m sure at least most people agree with. the only thing that i find really iffy is the approach of the concerns or criticisms made. i’ll reiterate what i said in the staff server with my concerns just to be as transparent as possible and be genuine with my responses. 

How I view it is that they are minor criticisms/concerns that I believe are valid. Others have gotten similar situations where a minor criticism/concern is brought up and have addressed it, stating to either do better or give an explanation/give an apology for their actions. It’s not to say you gotta say sorry to the individual if you don’t want to, but it makes it look like you try to deflect the criticism or take it as another way, instead of a minor issue just to fix for the time being. At least that’s how I see it. You can be defensive and give your view on it, that’s fine, but it seems like you don’t try to address it by stating you’ll fix the issue of being less aggressive in your responses. I trust you to do all the staff stuff since it’s easy, but just decisive if you’d be able to take a step back and really look into the issues and take them head first without approaching it in a way that makes it view it as a minor attack or nitpick. just my two cents.
(06-10-2024, 06:33 PM)slater Wrote: after reading recent comments, imma just air my thoughts out. panda, i think you’re more than capable to staff, you’ve got the knowledge and the skills to be able to staff, no doubt about it. server culture is definitely still something that needs to be worked on, which i’m sure at least most people agree with. the only thing that i find really iffy is the approach of the concerns or criticisms made. i’ll reiterate what i said in the staff server with my concerns just to be as transparent as possible and be genuine with my responses. 

How I view it is that they are minor criticisms/concerns that I believe are valid. Others have gotten similar situations where a minor criticism/concern is brought up and have addressed it, stating to either do better or give an explanation/give an apology for their actions. It’s not to say you gotta say sorry to the individual if you don’t want to, but it makes it look like you try to deflect the criticism or take it as another way, instead of a minor issue just to fix for the time being. At least that’s how I see it. You can be defensive and give your view on it, that’s fine, but it seems like you don’t try to address it by stating you’ll fix the issue of being less aggressive in your responses. I trust you to do all the staff stuff since it’s easy, but just decisive if you’d be able to take a step back and really look into the issues and take them head first without approaching it in a way that makes it view it as a minor attack or nitpick. just my two cents.

So, just to clarify my position on calling the guy a neanderthal with lots of other descriptors is that yes I was rude and an ass. I cannot apologize for the action as that would be dishonest but I take responsibility for being an asshole. There are a few cases including my behavior in april where I have been more aggressive or rude towards community members and I could very much have gone about my comments in a much better way, but I did not. That is on me and that is the choice I made instead of being kinder and taking more time to be elaborate and write things out professionally. I try to be a more kind person and elaborate things as much as I can, but there will be and have been times where I have given up on taking the time to type out a genuine response because many times those get treated the same as quickly calling someone a neanderthal half the time anyway. The reason I have been upset about it being the focus is because I felt I had explained it to the best of my ability at the time, the response may have been split up because so many people asked about it and i got more frustrated. Im not meaning to deflect or whine about "well john does worse than me so i should be forgiven" i dont think i should be forgiven or overlooked it just felt disingenuous as an argument when I would think about common actions in the community compared to my own actions. I wanted to move on to a general issues and away from this specific nitpick, which i probably should have just thought of doing myself and used the nitpick to bring up the general issue of timed id been aggressive.
I am glad you resigned from staff to give yourself the break you needed and appreciated not having a staff member (mod+ especially) be on that would do nothing in server for two months because they don't want to staff at those times. There have been many times where staff become "inactive" but still play on the account and complain that people are asking them to staff as the only person on that can do anything. Hot take /s I think its honestly a little stupid that people can be inactive for months on end or even years and come back to staffing without even having to check rule updates (skullfire is an excellent example of this if any of you recall.)

I do think that because of the current precedent that it is unlikely you will get Mod back immediately as that would be quite unfair even if it was only two months. However I do hope that you don't get shoved back to trusted as we do need people that are more equipped to be able to handle issues more than just slays. I don't believe asking for TMod would be too much because I know you are very capable of handling the role with the professionalism that it would require and it was very recent that you were Mod. Waiting a month to reapply for Mod would still mean that you are able to deal with the bulk of the summer trouble makers.

+1
-1. Your responses to criticism have been insanely bad. Calling genuine concerns "nitpicking" and justifying throwing insults at someone who disagrees with you is comical and it blows my mind to see people babying you in this post. Staff deal with loads of warranted and unwarranted criticism. Seeing how you respond to criticism on a staff app only reflects how you will staff on a full server of people trolling. Saying "this isn't a paid position" as a reason to accept your behavior is wild. The amount of staff and players who do not trust you to be unbiased needs to be addressed. Just because you applied for mod doesn't mean a compromise is getting trusted. You need to earn trust as a donor and prove you can handle criticism before a role is given. There have been plenty of FANTASTIC staff that start back at trusted and work their way up the ranks. -1 for staff
Applicants have every right to respond to comments about them, applications are not just a place for piling on critique with no chance to defend themselves. It's fine if you think a particular response is made poorly, but the simple act of defending oneself will not be held against anyone.

Also for a bit of transparency, a jump to mod isn't really on the table.
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(06-10-2024, 12:50 PM)PandaInPants Wrote:  Just to remind people I am friends with brahma when i named this brahma hate thread. I make jokes and im sarcastic. I dont care if i get mod back or if im put down to trusted. I leave that to the admins. But im not demanding the role. Sorry for the confusion. I forget that a large amount of the forums is not part of the ttt community that I interact with and does not understand my jokes or attempts to be facetious.
This is a volunteer free labor position btw. Just to remind you. This is not me quitting a real job where I was paid a salary and then asking to come back because i miss the pay. This is i felt comfortable not volunteering for a while and now I want to volunteer again so I am not going to plead/beg/grovel for a role.
I have answered your 2nd paragraph multiple times idk how else you guys want me to respond? I didnt want to staff, i wanted a break, i dont like the culture, but i still play and deal with the shitty server culture anyway so I want to be able to help rather than just sit and take random abuse when no one can get on. I don't have a vendetta I just have played a lot recently with lots of annoying trolls on. Others in this situation are told "apply for staff" and thats what im doing.
  • I am well aware that the title of this thread was a joke. That's why I didn't mention the title of the thread in the things that I quoted from you
  • I also make jokes and am sarcastic. This may be shocking, but I have zero issue with jokes or sarcasm
  • You do care, at least a little, if you get Mod or Trusted, otherwise you wouldn't have said in the original post "gimme mod back," joke or not
  • If you were being facetious about the "gimme mod back" line, you'll have to forgive me, and everyone else who took "gimme mod back" as you wanting your role as Moderator back, for taking the words that you typed, with very little hints of sarcasm or facetiousness, at face value
  • You are entirely correct. This is a volunteer position (and a lame one at that). You should not have to beg, plead, or grovel for a volunteer position on a GMod server. However, surely you can see how "gimme mod back" looks like you are trying to circumvent the line of progression and looks like you're trying to hop right back to Moderator after you gave up the role
  • It's very admirable that you see things wrong with the server and want to address them as a staff member. The point of that paragraph wasn't saying that you can't or shouldn't staff. The point of that paragraph is to bring up the fact that after a short break where you were burned out, and where you will be actively working on a staff team that you say has a culture that is less than desirable, you are ready to come back and volunteer your time and effort to something that burned you out a short time ago. If that's something you see yourself doing and want to do, more (Trusted) power to you
  • I fully support you applying for staff. That is the correct thing to do and I am not arguing against you being a staff member at all. My point of concern was the rank that you would be returning to

Finally (and I don't want to derail this application so I'll try to keep this short), I want to address this point of contention that is apparently shocking and weird. Yes, I treat a stupid GMod community, and my role in the community, professionally. Can that be seen as embarrassing and cringe? You're darn tootin'. But do you know what has served me well in the course of my almost 10 year staffing career on this server? Treating this volunteer position professionally. So am I going to continue holding myself to a professional standard? Yes. Am I going to waste my time and energy attempting to hold others to a professional standard in a community for a 20 year old mod of a mod, knowing that very few people are going to? Yes. Do you have to hold yourself to the same standard? Absolutely not. The beauty of the Internet is that you can say and do whatever you want. And that is why I love the Internet.
(06-08-2024, 08:50 AM)The Dutch Problem Wrote: -1 

(Context: During the whole Reina drama, something was allowed to happen I disagreed with, I pinged the relevant person asking "The fuck?!". During this time I had no interaction with Panda outside of getting this.)
First of all this is funny. Second of all if we're going to count this as something that would void you of any staff like position then there would be no staff at all. I can guarantee you if anybody does a small amount of digging plenty of staff have said very similar things, whether in a joking light or not this is absolutely not worth anyone's breath to argue over. This feels petty and childish to pull this out of nowhere when it really doesn't matter as much as people are making it seem. I know during that period there was a lot of misinformation and tension. I don't really blame a lot of people for their reactions, but I do think you should be a responsible individual and put things in the past behind you.

All in all I do not cast a vote, as I will leave that to the much more experienced and consistent staff.