Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light sensitivity and epilepsy
I have known of several people in this community that have voiced concerns for issues with bright/flashing lights. Since this seems to finally be an issue worthy of map/game changes I would like to compile a list of changes that I think would benefit overall server experience and also be inclusive to people with light sensitivity issues.
1. Flashbangs either remove or change their effect to black 
2. fix maps with light spam capabilities (thank you thaye for fixing one alread)
3. possibly even the boogie bomb
Anyone who has additions or concerns feel free to voice them.
This is a great list of suggestions. Thank you Syn
Big ups for the eye sensitive amongus. We are making it out of the dark room with this one. Also shoutout brahma for the fix of SkiResort, hopefully that is implemented soon if it isnt already.
<3 :3
(07-22-2024, 10:48 PM)Vivie Some-Bones (They) Wrote: amongus
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
Nice to see now you actually care ? 
Other changes we should add is not encouraging people's actions that might be triggering people with light sensitivity and epilepsy since I guess it isn't common sense.
[Image: Limon_T3.jpg?ex=65b9d342&is=65a75e42&hm=...height=468]
This really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. You were just on the server encouraging people to spam lights on Eclipse after a warn was given out to stop spamming them because of concerns of seizures. I agree that spammable things should be changed, but items like the flashbang and boogie don't pose a danger as they don't flash at dangerous frequencies (between 5 and 30 flashes per second).
Spread Kindness, Not Hate.
Creativity comes from a conflict of ideas.
(07-23-2024, 12:02 AM)RyanHighman Wrote: This really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. You were just on the server encouraging people to spam lights on Eclipse after a warn was given out to stop spamming them because of concerns of seizures. I agree that spammable things should be changed, but items like the flashbang and boogie don't pose a danger as they don't flash at dangerous frequencies (between 5 and 30 flashes per second).
If there are legitimate concerns of seizures the map should have immediately been changed, at the time i was under the impression the only active player that expressed this issue was clearly doing it for a bit. Speaking as whole I have never seen anything done to help players with light sensitivity issues or even epilepsy so after my warn was issued I took it as staff actually becoming concerned about this scenario and offered the idea on forums.

(07-22-2024, 11:34 PM)LemonTiara Wrote: Nice to see now you actually care ? 
Other changes we should add is not encouraging people's actions that might be triggering people with light sensitivity and epilepsy since I guess it isn't common sense.
you shouldn't be staff. easily angered to the point of commenting insults on a post trying to put a positive spin on a gross mishandling of an issue is not a great look.
(07-23-2024, 12:20 AM)syn Wrote: If there are legitimate concerns of seizures the map should have immediately been changed, at the time i was under the impression the only active player that expressed this issue was clearly doing it for a bit. Speaking as whole I have never seen anything done to help players with light sensitivity issues or even epilepsy so after my warn was issued I took it as staff actually becoming concerned about this scenario and offered the idea on forums.

(07-22-2024, 11:34 PM)LemonTiara Wrote: Nice to see now you actually care ? 
you shouldn't be staff. easily angered to the point of commenting insults on a post trying to put a positive spin on a gross mishandling of an issue is not a great look.
First of all, after digging into it it doesn't seem like either of the two players who talked about it was "doing a bit". And if it weren't true, it was still my duty to try to solve the problem, to prevent anything from happening to those players, to the best of my ability as trusted. I don't like seeing this questioning of those involved.

Second, I wasn't easily angered, I was never/am not angry. Your attitude, if anything, saddens me. I won't be sharing what you said in admin chat but you were more worried about getting Nico slayed for killing you, after you encouraged the person doing the light flicks to continue, than anything else. Even after the map change you kept talking about the warn you got and discussed things you mention in this post, after being told to quit it.

And after this evening your intentions behind this post seem questionable which is why my first comment comes off as rude/sarcastic. 

Now if you'll excuse me, it's almost 3AM and I'm really tired so I'm going to bed. Have a good night syn.
[Image: Limon_T3.jpg?ex=65b9d342&is=65a75e42&hm=...height=468]
While I was on I couldn't hear anything legible in VC chat with everyone talking. If someone had a medical emergency where the root cause is a map issue, I would've just force-changed the map. I would not have put my faith into a full lobby of players a lot of which I may not know to not do something that's extremely easy to spam if I had the choice to just switch the broken map. I should mention I've heard complaints about that were definitely reported well before this incident while we were playing the map in question. This may sound critical of the staff but the ball was dropped here.
I would like to make it clear that I agree with what Meddle said. You put it well. There are changes that need to happen, and the whole thing could have been handled better by online staff. Also, syn, the suggestion itself isn’t something I disagree with, just the events the preceded it.

To keep this thread on topic, +1 for more proactive map fixes and any other legitimate changes that would resolve light flashing dangers.
Spread Kindness, Not Hate.
Creativity comes from a conflict of ideas.