Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light sensitivity and epilepsy
I agree with the point and have been hoping for changes for a while (ever since they broke)
Now this is a content update! Good job Brahma for making a map fix already. I hope that there will eventually be substitutes for all maps that could potentially cause these issues
(07-23-2024, 02:16 AM)PandaInPants Wrote: I agree with the point and have been hoping for changes for a while (ever since they broke)

maybe it can be the next server update (hopefully)
[Image: Screenshot_20240723_084803_Chrome.jpg?ex...1a537c290&]Having a seizure caused by light spamming isn't real on any map it's just annoying guys be real here what is this fake outrage for. As someone stated, 5 to 30 *per second* flashes of light is what can cause a seizure not someone pressing on/off every couple of seconds or so.
(07-23-2024, 08:38 AM)Foxka Wrote: [Image: Screenshot_20240723_084803_Chrome.jpg?ex...1a537c290&]Having a seizure caused by light spamming isn't real on any map it's just annoying guys be real here what is this fake outrage for. As someone stated, 5 to 30 *per second* flashes of light is what can cause a seizure not someone pressing on/off every couple of seconds or so.

This is a disgusting take.

Additionally,  on at least two maps you can spam the lights as fast as Gmod allows you to spam interactions meaning multiple times per second.
Here’s the thing - I was approached by a player via pm stating the following: 
“they have to stop it might set off a seizure”

After reading the message, I not only informed the other staff on, but tried getting other players who were on and spamming the lights to stop.

If you got this sent to you, I’d like to think that, even if you’re not sure if that’s “true/possible” (setting off a seizure by “pressing on/off every couple of seconds or so.”) you’d rather be safe than sorry and just put a stop to it. I know I wasn’t ok with just letting the spam continue.

Syn didn’t seem bothered about people potentially causing issues to 2 possibly epileptic players yesterday. And I quote “Hate from zimbabwe to admins: yeah this guy is definitely having seizures lmao” “Hate from zimbabwe to admins: what a joke”

And mind you Foxka, the person who approached me informed me they got a headache that lasted all night from this. “it really started hurting my head” “thankfully i got off in time since it just gave me a headache all night” (which in some cases can cause epileptics to have a seizure) and had to take their medication. Stupid fucking meme to post.

All in all, I think that by working on the maps to disable anyone from messing with the lights is the best solution. If anything else is potentially triggering someone it could be dealt with in the moment. Perhaps adding something to the !motd so staff feel free to punish accordingly.
[Image: Limon_T3.jpg?ex=65b9d342&is=65a75e42&hm=...height=468]
As long as changes are made to maps, not to rules/behavior, I think that's reasonable.

I will add an unpopular opinion, if you are that prone to seizures that turning on/off lights will trigger it, I would hope you aren't playing Gmod.

But for the everyday epilepsy player I think making map changes are reasonable. One of the many funerals I had to attend in '22 was for my cousin who died of a seizure while driving, so I can sympathize with those in the community having health issues with some maps.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
Not sure why this devolved into trying to shift blame to me for this situation. I am not staff I did not have any information past the one player who was very clearly not suffering any kind of medical emergency and I am calling the staff present during this incident a joke. The situation itself was in my eyes incredibly mishandled and I voiced my opinion that instead of announcing to a full server to not do something instead simply force change the map, where I was therefore gagged and warned by staff for speaking out against their sub par response to being notified of a medical emergency. If you’re going to do something do it right. As for if there was someone with light sensitivity issues I apologize for my comment and hope that in the future issues like this are handled correctly.
(07-23-2024, 01:51 PM)Hate from zimbabwe Wrote: Not sure why this devolved into trying to shift blame to me for this situation. I am not staff I did not have any information past the one player who was very clearly not suffering any kind of medical emergency and I am calling the staff present during this incident a joke. The situation itself was in my eyes incredibly mishandled and I voiced my opinion that instead of announcing to a full server to not do something instead simply force change the map, where I was therefore gagged and warned by staff for speaking out against their sub par response to being notified of a medical emergency. If you’re going to do something do it right. As for if there was someone with light sensitivity issues I apologize for my comment and hope that in the future issues like this are handled correctly.
 You were warned for encrouaging players to spam the lights (already a map exploit) after everyone was warn to not do so. You were gagged for harassing the affect individuals saying that they were faking it beinf an issue.  I can post my recording if needed. (I assume you forgot I record every time I am on, otherwise you wouldnt be lying like this.)

Additionally, you were harassing staff for even taking the claim that there was an issue seriously.
(07-23-2024, 02:08 PM)chibill Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 01:51 PM)Hate from zimbabwe Wrote: Not sure why this devolved into trying to shift blame to me for this situation. I am not staff I did not have any information past the one player who was very clearly not suffering any kind of medical emergency and I am calling the staff present during this incident a joke. The situation itself was in my eyes incredibly mishandled and I voiced my opinion that instead of announcing to a full server to not do something instead simply force change the map, where I was therefore gagged and warned by staff for speaking out against their sub par response to being notified of a medical emergency. If you’re going to do something do it right. As for if there was someone with light sensitivity issues I apologize for my comment and hope that in the future issues like this are handled correctly.
 You were warned for encrouaging players to spam the lights (already a map exploit) after everyone was warn to not do so. You were gagged for harassing the affect individuals saying that they were faking it beinf an issue.  I can post my recording if needed. (I assume you forgot I record every time I am on, otherwise you wouldnt be lying like this.)

Additionally, you were harassing staff for even taking the claim that there was an issue seriously.
You’re a joke of a staff member stick to dev work, code monkey