Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord stuff with Brahma
I've been meaning for a good amount of time to ask all the community members on their current opinion of the discord, what you like about it , what you don't like and if there is something that you'd want improved just curious as a recent thread kinda implied it was too complex for what it is. 
Also I'm in dire need of a broader name for the creations channel on discord since it's mainly used for everyday pic of random stuff so I'd appreciate any suggestions on that as well.
[Image: crimson.gif]

[Image: drKEvv9.png]
I mean as just a regular dude who chats sometimes the whole thing is too noisy, 75% of the channels are trash basically. its funny but a little annoying and some just straight up don't do anything/are inactive

also the level up thing is completely pointless it just pings you for no reason while you talk
(07-30-2024, 04:08 PM)Brahma Wrote: I've been meaning for a good amount of time to ask all the community members on their current opinion of the discord, what you like about it , what you don't like and if there is something that you'd want improved just curious as a recent thread kinda implied it was too complex for what it is. 
Also I'm in dire need of a broader name for the creations channel on discord since it's mainly used for everyday pic of random stuff so I'd appreciate any suggestions on that as well.
Can't really speak as to much since I'm not too involved with discord moderation but the feature creep of what a discord server is used for can be pretty overwhelming and is, by and large, not entirely necessary. Limiting the scope of what the server is really there for (Whining about Discussing Gmod server topics) could be a good start.
[Image: 233db8df95863710bce8feeadccbd5cc.jpg]
I preferred Ventrilo and Teamspeak.
[Image: bH0KCfU.jpg]
i have to agree with russ on this one, there are a lot of channels i don’t ever use and frankly dont care about. Level up notifications are annoying too. Maybe we could have a more user friendly way to pick and choose which channels you want to use.

This may end up killing those channels though, so in the end maybe the best solution is to cull some of the text and voice channels
"let's fuck lycan" -Starky
(07-30-2024, 05:38 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: I mean as just a regular dude who chats sometimes the whole thing is too noisy, 75% of the channels are trash basically. its funny but a little annoying and some just straight up don't do anything/are inactive

also the level up thing is completely pointless it just pings you for no reason while you talk

(07-30-2024, 05:48 PM)The Chuckster Wrote:
(07-30-2024, 04:08 PM)Brahma Wrote: I've been meaning for a good amount of time to ask all the community members on their current opinion of the discord, what you like about it , what you don't like and if there is something that you'd want improved just curious as a recent thread kinda implied it was too complex for what it is. 
Can't really speak as to much since I'm not too involved with discord moderation but the feature creep of what a discord server is used for can be pretty overwhelming and is, by and large, not entirely necessary. Limiting the scope of what the server is really there for (Whining about Discussing Gmod server topics) could be a good start.
I think it's kinda used for this for the most part excluding some accidents or other topics about games or real life stuff which aren't that much, but i understand your point as well, sadly right now i can't think of a solution to this without having to displease people one way or another but i'm thankful for your feedback Mr.Toast.  Shy
(07-31-2024, 02:24 PM)Tronald Wrote: i have to agree with russ on this one, there are a lot of channels i don’t ever use and frankly dont care about. Level up notifications are annoying too. Maybe we could have a more user friendly way to pick and choose which channels you want to use.

This may end up killing those channels though, so in the end maybe the best solution is to cull some of the text and voice channels

Hey everyone sorry for the late response!

I'd like to say i appreciate the feedback so far, so seems like the main issue you have is that there are too many unused channels that are just clogging the discord, i think that's a valid and reasonable opinion, maybe combining some of them into one broader/bigger channel could be one way to solve this issue as which channels i haven't really paid enough attention to know but i'll try suggesting some of your ideas to other discord staff members and see where it goes from there.

Now the second issue i've seen is the bot pinging you while talking and disturbing/annoying you for this it's kinda an easy fix without really having to change anything server wise this solution also works for the huge amount of channels we have from there you can remove the ones you don't want to see, follow the pictures below:

https://imgur.com/a/yB76xqr

Yeah I can't really say there's a definite ""solution"" to declutter everything honestly.
Some ideas I've had include:
-Having an "on topic" general and an "off topic" general. The former being for gamer business and the latter serving as a replacement for the myriad subject channels
-General reduction of channels that don't get used enough to justify their existence
-Have a channel where people can just make threads and people can have a reddit-like experience, interacting with things they find interesting and only takes up the space of a single channel on the sidebar

All of these """solutions""" aren't perfect and if someone wants to pick them apart, honestly be my guest. It's a hard thing to balance and all input is necessary to come up with the best """"solution""""

edit: the bot pings are fine since like brahma said, they are quite easy to opt out of and kinda provide good optics in terms of who is active
[Image: 233db8df95863710bce8feeadccbd5cc.jpg]
- events, announcements, gmod updates and discord updates shouldn't be seperate since none of them happen frequently enough to need 4 channels
- everyone votes is useless bot trash
- admins is trash
- boosters and anti boosters was a fun gag for the first month but nobody really uses it anymore
- discord regulars is pointless, go talk in general you elitist losers
- deathrun is just shitposting 2 but its funny because deathrun so we cool
- there are 9 voice channels in voice lounge, when is the last time you saw people in more than 2
- relay channels are fine I guess but you have to literally sit there on the channel watching it to get any message history to read. at that point I should just join the server
- gmod server suggestion channels (ttt suggestions, etc) is fine but there isn't actually any real feedback from admins on suggestions, regular players are like "that would be cool" then absolutely nothing happens. the same thing has happened on the forums since the beginning of time, but now we have two places to get ignored. how useful
- ph & murder marketplace, lol
-
Hey Brahma!
As the creator of 85% of the useless channels, I can certainly understand the feedback on many of these points.
Certainly, VC channels can be significantly reduced, and I like the idea of an on topic/off-topic area. Note, though, that #general will just flow where it goes. Announcements merging would also be fine, though the intention was to allow in-game updates to have a dedicated running thread for announcement threading reasons. (That was made with the assumption that there would be in-game updates lol)

It sounds like there is some education that would be good on how to remove channels that one doesn't use, as well. As an example, I live mostly in #cars and #sports, but i remove the other channels from my view by using channels and roles. This allows me to remove the channels I don't care about - but it seems several members don't know about that feature. So perhaps some form of guidance on this could be made more openly available?

If you really want the opinion of the community I encourage you to consider running a town hall. This is a great way to get direct feedback from folks who actually use it!

Best of luck with your mission to make Dinks discord better!
[Image: cYQlQ4a.gif]
Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(08-01-2024, 09:06 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote: - events, announcements, gmod updates and discord updates shouldn't be seperate since none of them happen frequently enough to need 4 channels 
- everyone votes is useless bot trash
- admins is trash
- boosters and anti boosters was a fun gag for the first month but nobody really uses it anymore
- discord regulars is pointless, go talk in general you elitist losers
- deathrun is just shitposting 2 but its funny because deathrun so we cool
- there are 9 voice channels in voice lounge, when is the last time you saw people in more than 2
- relay channels are fine I guess but you have to literally sit there on the channel watching it to get any message history to read. at that point I should just join the server
- gmod server suggestion channels (ttt suggestions, etc) is fine but there isn't actually any real feedback from admins on suggestions, regular players are like "that would be cool" then absolutely nothing happens. the same thing has happened on the forums since the beginning of time, but now we have two places to get ignored. how useful
- ph & murder marketplace, lol
-

- First one isn't hard to do as you have a point i'll try suggesting for them to get combined.

- Everyone votes can be removed by clicking the opt out in the customized menu of channels and roles some people do use it.

- Admins idk about that one i kinda don't have clue for it so fair point.

- It still gets some use i'd prefer to keep them both since we do start shit from time to time.

- I completely agree on discord regulars it's just shitposting 2 but not even used i'll probably annoy kap to see what can be done about it.

- Same as discord regulars lmao.

- Fair enough it's true we rarely fill 2 channels that we'd need 9 but that issue can be solved by just removing the ones that are rarely used or using the channels and roles menu.

- Relay, is currently a nice bonus for booster since they get the chance to use and speak, also after asking @Jammin why the view history permission were not allowed for regulars i've come to realize that it's done in case someone wants to use it in bad faith nsfw spam and or to prevent any spread of personal information in case someone doxs another member.

- Can't really say much on this since that's on the admins and is out of my reach, sorry for that. Sad 

- People still do play each gamemode , true that currently aren't used but can't remove them sadly.

If there are more question or suggestions feel free to post or ask i'll be answering them as quick as possible.

Disclaimer: 
Not all suggestions will be implemented as it doesn't depend on me it's a group vote.

EDIT: Shameless Plug you can learn on how to use the channels and roles menu here: https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...?tid=19766